Isaiah 64:6, 8 (NIV)

"All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away...Yet, O Lord, you are our Father. We are the clay, you are the potter; we are all the work of your hand."

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Gifts and Passions

Once upon a time, I asked a bunch of students "How do you know what God wants you to do with your life?" It was a question I had asked myself MANY times over the months prior. I explained to them that God uses many things to show them and call them. One of which is passion. What are you passionate for?

Another was talents. What talents has God given you?

The last was gifts. How has God gifted you?

It was easy for me to discuss this, seeing as I had already finished my undergrad and was doing what God called me to do, however, I remember those unsure times in my life prior to college, and even sometimes in college. I know that God has gifted me with the ability to explain. I like to use large words in conversation, not to make me look smart, but because I have the word in my vocabulary. However, when teaching, that makes it difficult, because the students don't always know what the word means, therefore I have to explain it.

I am a teacher at heart. I long to teach people, to pass on knowledge that I have gained, whatever the subject matter or task, and I love to teach Scripture above everything else. It is one of my greatest passions.

I also love to write. One of my dreams, which has never been spoken before now, is to publish a novel or short story. Why? I have no clue, it is just something I have wanted to do for a long time. Writing and teaching Scripture have been the two most constant things I've wanted to do. I know God has called me to youth ministry, and I couldn't be happier doing it, but I still have this burning desire to write. So, I do. Mostly short stories and most longer stories never get finished. I have about 5 or 6 ideas written down that I could work on, but I haven't finished one yet.

I know this is quite random, and if you have stayed this long you are probably thinking, "Who cares!?" Well, I say this because God has shown me what I am to do, and as I said, I enjoy teaching, so my question to you is, what is that God is calling you to do? Let your talents and passions be a guide, but weigh those against your gifts, because it is in your giftedness that God uses you most.

No comments:

Post a Comment