Isaiah 64:6, 8 (NIV)

"All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away...Yet, O Lord, you are our Father. We are the clay, you are the potter; we are all the work of your hand."

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Grace vs Forgiveness: Why grace saves and forgiveness doesn't

When it is 4 a.m. and someone is awake, it's either because they are in pain, don't want to sleep yet, have insomnia, or are getting up for work. Those that don't want to sleep are young and will grow out of it (I did). Those in pain or insomniacs take a pill. Those getting up for work have already slept. So that leaves us with me. I just can't sleep tonight. I'm tired, my eyes are heavy, but I just can't shut off. So, while all normal people in my time-zone are asleep right now, I take to the interwebs and I blog...

This is one of those good kind of "can't shut off nights." I've prepared (mentally), several possible teaching lessons that are in their infancy. The one I am most prepared to discuss (the one that takes the least amount of brain power), is a discussion of forgiveness and grace. In my last blog posting, I spouted possible heresy, saying that we don't need to ask for forgiveness from God to be saved, we only need to openly confess that He is our Lord and Master and that we will follow Him always. I made the point that it is our faith that saves us and not us wanting to be free from guilt of doing bad things. That is called easing your conscience.

So, I guess, this will be a continuation, since Ephesians 2:8-9 says "For it is by grace through faith that you have been saved..." Grace saves us when we put our faith in the Giver of Grace. So, what does that word mean: grace? I've heard it defined as "unmerited favor", "getting what you do not deserve", and other things along those lines. Now, I'm not saying those are wrong (they are actually decent), but as I study Scripture, I find that those definitions are incomplete. For instance, take Romans 12:3. Paul writes, "For by the grace given to me..." Here, the definition "unmerited favor" works decently. But that definition is a repeat of the other I gave you. "Unmerited favor", broken down, means "you didn't earn the standing you have." So, in light of the subtle deficeincies I see, I propose this definition of grace: "the power to do what you cannot do yourself." This power, when dealing with Scripture and spiritual matters, comes from God. Now think of Ephesians 2:8: "For it is by the power you do not possess that has been given to you because of your faith in Christ that you are saved." Or Romans 12:3: "For by the power I do not have on my own, which was given to me..." It just seems a more complete definition to me. But, more on grace later.

Now we shift our focus to forgiveness. This is easy. Forgiveness isn't saying, "That's ok" to someone who has hurt you. Far from it. We have taken this mentality of "forgive and forget" to an extreme and even applied this to God! I saw a video from Francis Chan the other day where he said we have the tendency to take God and make Him subject to our morality. Ouch.

I am here to tell you (super-fundamentalist, bring out your heresy book again) that God doesn't forget our sin. "But, then how do we get to heaven?" I said He doesn't forget, not that He doesn't forgive. Read the end of Revelation. Every man, woman, boy and girl who EVER lived will stand before the throne and give account for what he or she has done. EVERY SINGLE ACT, WORD, OR THOUGHT! However, Christ is there as our advocate and says, "I paid John's penalty. He followed me. He trusted me. He let me be his Master. He is mine." Then He will say, "Well done, my good and faithful servant. Enter into your rest." No where in there does God ever forget our sin. I think He will see it clearly (God is outside of time...different lesson), but it was placed upon Christ while He was on the cross. Therefore, we no longer face the penalty of our sin. We have been forgiven. Our sin is no longer held against us. That is my working definition of forgiveness: "not holding a past offense against someone." This is key in marriage and relationships.

Think of this: A man is walking home from work, when a mugger pulls him into an alleyway. "Give me your wallet," the mugger says, thrusting a gun at the man's chest. "Here, take it," the muggee replies. As the mugger takes it, he shoots the man anyway, killing him. After the investigation, the mugger is caught and goes on trial for murder. He is convicted. The man's wife is there in the courtroom. (Here is where the rubber meets the road, folks.) She walks down the aisle, leans over to the mugger and says, "I forgive you. I no longer hold this against you."

Now, will she EVER forget that this man killed her husband? NO! But forgiveness is not holding it against him. "Yeah, but this is murder!" It doesn't matter. It was our sin that forced Jesus to die, and, still, He forgives us. "Yeah, but that's Jesus! He's God!" Agreed. Yet aren't we called to live like Him? Luke 6:36-37,40 "Be merciful, even as your Father is merciful. Judge not, and you will not be judged. Condemn not, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven...A disciple is not above his teacher, but everyone when he is fully trained will be like his teacher." We will be like Him if He is our teacher. From the mout of Jesus Himself.

Back to the illustration: The woman stands up, tears rolling down her cheeks. She looks at the prosecuting attorney, and then leans back down to speak to her husband's murderer again. "Also, I heard that you cannot afford an attorney, so I would like to help you pay for one."

Enter grace. The mugger didn't have the power to help himself. He didn't have the ability to hire a good lawyer. So, in a shower of grace upon a man who killed her husband, the wife paid in his stead.

Yes the event was ficticious, but the premise is not. The premise is based on Christ. If we are to show Christ in everything, how can we not respond the same way? That's my question to you reading this: which shows Christ more? Holding onto past grievances, or forgiveness?

"Love...keeps no records of wrongs..." 1 Corinthians 13

2 comments:

  1. Interesting thoughts. If love keeps no record of wrongs... then why give an account? For Christians, I dont believe that God is going to humiliate us by making us stand there and going over all the wrongs we have done in our lives as well as the rights. If he has cast our sin into the deepest parts of the ocean, he's not going to go and dig it up again. It is forgiven!! What we will do by standing in front of Him, is receive our rewards and our crowns. It will be a day of celebration for those of us who love Jesus, not a day to dread! Perfect love casts out fear. We need not fear our heavenly father. Jesus never judged anyone, but came to reconcile those to Him. We have been reconciled, therefore have passed from any judgement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. We have no reason to fear for if Christ is for us than who is against us? I never once said that we should fear that day. My only point of this is that God doesn't forget our sin. He chooses not to hold it against us in spite of our sin, which is a different mentality. That is when true forgiveness comes.

      Still you cannot ignore the Scriptures that say we will have to give an account of what we have done and the only thing we have to plead is the blood of Jesus. Its not about fear or judgement, its about the great love of the Father.

      Delete