Isaiah 64:6, 8 (NIV)

"All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away...Yet, O Lord, you are our Father. We are the clay, you are the potter; we are all the work of your hand."

Monday, October 11, 2010

"All, Like sheep, have gone astray..."

How many times have you heard something similar to that? How many times have you been told something like, "Don't be a dumb sheep that follows every one else."?

I recently (as in 5 minutes ago) came across a blog that told us, as Christians, to avoid a sheep's mentality. My question is, how can we do that? How can we allow ourselves to devoid our lives of something that Christ said? Yes. Jesus Christ called us all sheep.

In John 10:10-16 Jesus says, "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly. I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. He who is a hired hand and not a shepherd, who does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees, and the wolf snatches them and scatters them. He flees because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep. I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep. And I have other sheep that are not of this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd."

I understand what the writer of that blog was trying to say. He wants us to use the wisdom of God to discern who we should listen to. However, we should not abandon the "sheep mentality." I'm not speaking of being unintelligent. I am simply re-stating what Christ says. Farther down in chapter 10, Jesus says "My sheep hear my voice and I know them, and they follow me."

Here is a little tidbit about sheep, THEY KNOW THEIR MASTER'S VOICE!!! If a sheep listens and hears the voice of his master, he will run to him, if it is not his master, he will run away. This attribute is ESSENTIAL to the Christian life! We listen for the Master's voice and when we hear it, we respond.

It is up to YOU to know the Master's voice. The only way to know it is by spending time in His Word and soaking Him up. If you do not do this, then you will be led astray by the wrong master until the voice of your true Master calls you clearly. So, by all means, keep your sheep-like mentality! It is essential in determing who is from the Master and who is not.

Another wonderful thing about sheep is their complete and total faith, dependence, and trust in their master. That is exactly what God desires of us. Read the above section of John 10 again and tell me that isn't what God desires. Remember Psalm 23? "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me to lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside still waters, he restores my soul." Life is good as a sheep when Christ is your Master!

Look at David. As a shepherd, he killed a lion and a bear to protect his flock! The very shepherd's hook is an example of Christ!! With it, the shepherd drives away the enemy that comes, he pulls the sheep up out of danger, and helps the sheep up a climb they cannot make alone. I could go on and on. No, friends, we cannot and must not lose our sheep like mentality. Some may calls us dumb or ignorant, but that isn't it at all. We are trusting in our Master to guide us correctly.

We also have under-shepherds. These are our pastors and church leaders. It is their job to lead us, physically, to the place where the Good Shepherd wants us. If the under-shepherd fails the flock, it is not on the flock. No, it is on the under-shepherd. It is our job to know the Master's voice and call. That is how we know who is from the Good Shepherd and who is from the Butcher.

No comments:

Post a Comment