Isaiah 64:6, 8 (NIV)

"All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away...Yet, O Lord, you are our Father. We are the clay, you are the potter; we are all the work of your hand."

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Date (Part 1)

Have you ever found yourself captivated by someone? I mean so utterly enthralled with them, you make every excuse imaginable to see him/her? It's a weird feeling, right? That's the way I was with Stacy after I first met her. First of all, she is gorgeous. I'm talking beyond beautiful type of pretty. Her blond hair is usually pulled up into a pony tail, which always looks better to me, her green eyes are piercing, and her smile is contagious. When she smiles, I swear her eyes laugh. That really is her best physical quality. She's athletic and very well built. She's naught but 5'5", but I've seen her wreak havoc on the basketball court. I've also heard stories of her prowess on the softball field, and, man, can she sing! She seemed gentle and genuine in her faith in God, but it took me a while to know who she really is.

See, I had only known Stacy for about a month and we'd only had maybe four conversations over that amount of time. Neither one of us had much time on Sunday mornings to talk a lot. I wanted to change that, though. I wanted to get to know her. So, how did she captivate me? It's simple, I don't know her, and I wanted to. Also, she is very pretty and from what I could tell, single. Why wouldn't I be captivated by her?

It is weird, I'll give you that one. It wasn't exactly "love-at-first-sight" for me, but I definitely took notice of her. When she walked up on stage that Sunday, my eyes were drawn to her. She captured my attention while she was up there, I'm sorry to say. I was pulled away from worship, and that wasn't the last time it happened. However, I found that when my mind drifted to her, I didn't think anything bad about her. My mind was just filled with questions like: What is she like? What are her quirks? What does she like to do in her free time? Does she like NCIS? and other random questions like that.

Then, after about six weeks, I finally got up the courage to see if she wanted to go eat with me after church one Sunday and she said yes! I was so excited and wished it was that same Sunday, but I would have to wait another week for that.

Finally, the day came. I had anticipated it all week and I found my mind drifting to how it would play out. I thought we would go, enjoy ourselves immensely, talk about all sorts of things, get to know each other better, that I would impress her enough that she would start to like me, and spend the whole afternoon talking and getting to know each other.

I let her choose the restaurant, but offered to drive so we could talk more. She agreed to that and we left as soon as church was over for the restaurant. We got to our table and sat down. We made small talk and ordered. We covered several of my questions and I answered some of the ones she had for me. I had the feeling it was going well. We finished, payed, and left to pick up her car. When we reached the church again, I asked what she was going to do this afternoon, and she said she had a lot of papers to grade, so I told I would see her later at church and told her to have fun. She responded with "you too" and left. I replayed the meal in my several times that day, and decided that it followed my expectations fairly close.

It was then I decided to ask her out again, so that I night at church I did. Sort of.

"Hey, Stacy," I said when she came walking up the aisle. "Get those papers done?" Stupid question. Why did I ask that?

"Hey, Chris. Yeah, I got most of them done. What did you do this afternoon," she asked.

My mind said I thought about our meal all afternoon, but I replied with, "Nothing, really. I just watched TV." So, exciting. Well, here goes everything: "Hey, I was wondering if you wanted to hang out again sometime? Today was pretty fun."

"Sure, look me up on Facebook and we'll figure something out. Gotta go now, though. Bye." She turned and walked off. I waited to see if she looked over her shoulder like girls do in the movies when they like someone. But she didn't.

That night, I sent her a friend request on Facebook, and waited for her confirmation. She confirmed it the next day and wrote on my wall: "Hey there, you found me." So I clicked "wall-to-wall" and wrote on her wall "I sure did. We are now officially friends."

I waited a day or so before mentioning our hang-out time, then I wrote on her wall, "Hey, let me know a time when you will be free and we can go get coffee or something."

It took her a while to respond, but she finally did....
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Now, this is your turn to get interactive! If you want this story to continue, I need you to leave a comment and write A, B, or C. There are three different possible outcomes from here, and it's up to you to choose. After a week, which ever has the most votes is what it will be. If it's a tie, I choose which way it will go. Sorry, but you don't get to know the possible outcomes beforehand. It makes it more fun this way! Please cast your vote!!! Thanks.

3 comments:

  1. B! but is this really true, John? If so, I would just make your own fate to get the girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most everything I have written on her is fiction with layers of truth underneath. And the difference is for my knowledge. It's all for the story. :-)

    ReplyDelete